Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Homework

Yesterday, I received an email from my 14 yr old niece asking for help with her homework. Here's the letter:

  • Hi Aunt Marissa and Uncle Chuck! How are you guys doing? I'm sure you were
    both busy with work today. I have a few questions for you to help me out
    with my Freshman Focus homework. We are doing a project in the class, where
    we go around asking different people questions about their jobs. I was
    wondering if you guys would take some time, and each separately answer these
    questions. This would help me out a lot!

    I hope to hear from you soon!

    Love,
    Hale
  • QUESTIONS:
  • #1: Please tell me a bit about your job.
    #2: What do you like best about your job?
    #3: What do you find most challenging about this job?
    #4: What education/training do you need for this job?
    #5: What skills do you use everyday?

    Also, if you know what pathway you are in (Arts & Communication, Human
    Services, etc.), it would be greatly appreciated if you included that in
    your response.

So, heres my answer to her questions:

#1: Please tell me a bit about your job.
I am a Physical Therapist, it is a health care profession which provides services to individuals to restore loss of function due to injury, aging, disease or other environmental factors.
Physical Therapist are responsible for examing the patient or client; evaluating the results; determining goals; and planning, implementing and evaluating a physical therapy program. This typically includes educating and instructing patients and their families. Example, we help Stroke patients regain their function and strength back so that they will be able to walk again. We help them to be independent with most of their activities of daily living so that they dont have to depend on others.

Physical therapists practice in a variety of settings, including hospitals, private practices, outpatient clinics, home health agencies, schools, sports and fitness facilities, work settings, and nursing homes.

#2: What do you like best about your job?

It is a very rewarding career. I am happy to see my patient able to walk again, especially when I see the smile in their face and thanking me for a job well done, it's a very nice feeling.

#3: What do you find most challenging about this job?

When I work at the Nursing Home, our job requires physical strength because most of our patients came from the hospital. The transition is very difficult because we're dealing with acute injuries and most of them are elderly. I find it challenging when they dont want to participate with the program because they are in pain and depressed. At the end of our treatment, I feel their pain in my back because i did most of the work even if they can do more but refused to get better.

#4: What education/training do you need for this job?

I graduated from the Philippines. Our school system is somewhat different from the United States. BS Physical therapy is a full time 5yrs program. The 5th year is our Clinical Internship Program. After graduation, we also have ongoing continuing education program for updates with new treatment strategies, etc.

#5: What skills do you use everyday?

Aside from knowledge and experience, its the holistic approach and great smile when I attend to my patients.

What about you? Please share us your answers to these questions. Thank you.

0 comments: