Saturday, November 29, 2008

The secret to a long life!

I had a wonderful chat with my 90 yr old patient today. She's normally arguementative everytime I come to their house but today it was very pleasant. I cant blame her for disagreeing with me most of the time, she's 90 and I made her exercise...cant i just leave her alone? why on earth Im still treating her? But anyways, despite of her wickedness, I find her challenging. She once told me that she's giving up, ouch! that crushed my heart...I thought to myself, will I think that way when I get old and unable to do things on my own? ...she told me, "I already accepted the fact that I can never walk again and Im satisfied with how my family is taking care of me"...it struck me, makes me wonder, should i just let her go? I said no! I just can't! So, despite of the fact that every patient has the right to refused, I aint giving up! She hasn't refused yet, she just complain! Are they the same?

Our warm conversation started from a picture of her granddaughter who is a dentist. She was so proud that all of her kids and grandkids are very successful. She said, she has a degree in business school but never worked, taking care of the kids and the house was already a lot of work! her husband was the moneymaker! Oh yeah, her house is a mansion and she showed me all of her expencive paintings....they are breathtaking! She showed me her old pictures and told me stories about each one of them. Then she said with a big smile, I had a good life!

I can't help but noticed her beautiful skin and asked, did you ever used Oil Of Olay? she replied, "its the only product I used" I nailed it again! 90% of old ladies (80+ y.o.) that I encountered with beautiful and less wrinkled skin despite of their old age confirmed using this product! The other 10% just used water. Ive been conducting this independent survey since 2003. Lol. She also added, good sleep and lots of water helped her skin to glow....hmnnn...:)

She seems very happy today. I think the good old memories motivates her. So, I took advantage of the oppurtunity and asked her, What is the secret of a long life? She replied quickly, "Being Happy and satisfied! Choosing my husband is the best thing that ever happened to me. Im so happy every minute Im with my family. Im satisfied everything that ever happened to me, no regrets at all! Thats the secret of a long HAPPY life! Do not fuss all the little things that happens into your life, be grateful instead! The choice of happiness relies in your hands.....just like playing poker, no matter how bad are your cards but if you know how to deal with it, you will be the crowned winner! Most of all, be content with what you have...you will find peace with contentment!"

I went home so inspired. I hugged my husband right away and whispered how much I love him and how much he means to me. He looked at me and said...must be my new haircut, ha? I just smiled and uttered no more. We cuddled and watched a movie...:)

0 comments: